BIMM Brexit Information

For prospective & current students

The information on this page was last updated on the 13th December 2019.

The UK may be leaving the EU, but here at BIMM, we are determined to keep our community of creative students as diverse and vibrant post-Brexit as always. We are committed to being a friendly international community.

And we want to make sure you have all the information you need about Brexit and how it affects you. Whether you’re looking to study at BIMM or are a current student, this page should help answer any questions you may have.

Please note: when we refer to the ‘date the UK leaves the EU’, this is currently expected to be 31st of January 2020.

Brexit and prospective students

BIMM receives applications from all over the world. We have representatives and agents in the EU/EEA and other overseas regions.  And last year, we enrolled over 1000 students from overseas countries. We know how important it is that this continues.

That’s why we are continuously developing partnerships abroad to raise awareness of our Degree and Diploma courses, which are recognised worldwide. Our dedicated admissions team will ensure your application process is easy to navigate and that you are well-informed throughout.

Are my course fees affected by Brexit?

If you’re an EU student and planning to enrol at BIMM in September 2020, then nothing at all has changed. And you will be eligible for home fee for the full extent of your time at BIMM. This means you will be charged the same tuition fees as UK students for the duration of your course.

Will my student loan eligibility be affected?

You will also not see any changes to your student loan eligibility. This has been officially confirmed by The Department for Education in England and the Welsh Government statement. Please note: your eligibility for home fee and funding will be subject to meeting residency requirement.

BIMM fees are subject to change on an annual basis. Further information on fees and finance can be found here.

EU student funding will continue for 2020/21 (announced May 2019):

The Department of Education has announced that EU student funding will continue for the 2020/21 academic year.

This means that if you’re an EU student wanting to start university in 2020, you will remain eligible for undergraduate financial support for the duration of your course in England – just like current UK students. And this will stay in place even if your course finishes after the UK’s exit from the EU.

You’re also eligible for home fee status, meaning you’re charged the same tuition fees as UK students.

Your rights as an EU citizen:

There will be no change to the status of EU citizens living in the UK until at least 2021. The status of EU citizens after the UK leaves the EU depends on the negotiations and future deals between the UK and EU.

Sign up for email updates from the UK Government to get the latest information on the status of EU citizens in the UK.

Brexit and current students 

Are my tuition fees affected by Brexit?

There will be no change to the tuition fee status of current EU students or those applying to courses at BIMM starting in 2020-21.

Fees will continue to be at the applicable ‘Home fee’ rate for the duration of your course. The fee status of EU nationals for 2020 entry onwards has yet to be determined by the UK government. Read the full announcement from the UK Government here.

How will Brexit affect my student loans?

If you’re continuing or starting a course in the 2019-20 academic year, (and are eligible under the current rules to receive loans from Student Finance England), then you will continue to remain eligible for the duration of your course.

Will Brexit affect my ability to stay in the UK? 

As part of Brexit, the UK government will end reciprocal European Freedom of Movement to the UK. This means that EU, EEA and Swiss citizens (and eligible family) will need immigration permission if in or entering the UK after it leaves the EU.

  • In the event of a deal: there will be a ‘transition’ period, which will end on the 31st of December 2020.
  • In the event of no deal: the UK leaves the EU on the 31st of October (or soon after).

The government has stated that EU, EEA and Swiss nationals already resident in the UK will be eligible to apply for a new status confirming that they can continue to live in the UK after that date. The status can be ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ in the UK.

Irish citizens will not need to apply because the Common Travel Area agreements existed between the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland prior to the EU Directive.

The EU Settlement Scheme

The UK government has confirmed its commitment to protecting the rights of EU, EEA and Swiss nationals and their family members residing in the UK prior to the date the UK leaves the EU.

The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU, EEA and Swiss nationals to continue living in the UK with the same access to work, study, benefits and public services. It opened fully on 30 March 2019.

In the event of a deal:

All EU, EEA and Swiss nationals in the UK will be required to apply for either pre-settled or settled status if they wish to remain in the UK after 31 December 2020. They will need to apply by 30 June 2021.

In the event of the UK leaving the EU without a deal:

EU students and their families who are eligible to apply under the settlement scheme will need to do so by 31 December 2020. Find out how to apply.

Since 9 April 2019, EU citizens and certain family members have been able to apply to the scheme from outside the UK based on their previous residence in the UK. They won’t need to travel here to make an online application. The scheme is free of charge.

We have created a Brexit Settlement Scheme application sample video to give you an insight into the application process. Please note that all individual cases are unique, therefore your type of application and evidence you may be required to submit might differ.

Brexit FAQs

What is the difference between settled and pre-settled status?

How do I get settled or pre-settled status?

How do I prove my residence?

I need a letter from the Institution to prove my residence for my EU Settlement application. Where can I get this from?

Do I have to apply under the settlement scheme if I intend to leave the UK before 31 December 2020?

I have dual nationality. Should I apply for settlement status?

If I leave the UK, do I lose settlement status?

I am an EU national due to arrive in the UK after the date the UK leaves the EU. Will I be able to apply for settlement status?

Will the EU Settlement Scheme still operate if no agreement is reached?

How will BIMM keep me updated?

Where can I find further information?

Want to speak to someone in our team about Brexit?