If your first language isn’t English, you might need to complete an English language test. Should this be required, we recommend Academic IELTS as a first choice.
Our Admissions Team will be able to provide further information and guidance on IELTS as well as other English language test options that meet BIMM entry requirements.
How to meet your English language requirements if test centres are closed due to Covid-19
If you require a Tier 4 Visa to study at a below degree level (Diploma), you must obtain a valid Secure English Language (SELT). Please ensure you complete one of the following English tests:
- IELTS for UKVI with an overall score of 6.0 and a minimum of 5.5 in each band
- LanguageCert International ESOL SELT B2 (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking) Pass
- Pearson PTE Academic UKVI with a score of 50 overall, including at least 42 in all four skills
Please consider the approved test centres here:
If all tests centres in your country are currently closed, please contact email@example.com for support and further information. Please do not book any alternative tests, as they will not be accepted for Tier 4 Visa support purposes.
Our international team will check if a SELT (UKVI IELTS) is currently available in your location. If this is not currently available, we will arrange for an alternative approved test option. Please do not book any alternative tests independently, as this may not be accepted.
If you are an EU/EEA student (applying for any course level) or a Tier 4 student applying for an Undergraduate or Postgraduate Degree level course, please refer to the guidance below:
BIMM Institute can accept a range of robust English Language qualifications, these will be assessed in your application, but may include the following options, temporarily available to be taken at home:
Important: We do not accept TOEFL ITP tests available in China. We kindly ask that applicants from China consider ESOL LanguageCert.
- Required scores for Undergraduate students: 80 overall, including at least 19 in Listening, 19 in Reading, 21 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
- Required scores for Postgraduate students: 88 overall, including at least 20 in Listening, 22 in Reading, 23 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
LanguageCERT International ESOL – We will accept LanguageCert International ESOL at a B2 Communicator Level, when both Written (Listening, Reading, Writing) and Spoken (Speaking) tests have been completed. Click here to proceed with booking your online test.
- Required scores for Undergraduate students: B2 Pass
- Required scores for Postgraduate students: B2 Higher Pass
IELTS Indicator – is currently under review, in the meantime please book one of the tests above.
We will be happy to consider one of the following certificates which you may have obtained within the last 2 years:
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE)
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English (CAE)
- Pearson (PTE Academic)
- Academic IELTS
Depending on where you have studied, your high school qualification may also be considered.
The following qualifications are required for each of our courses:
For our UK diploma courses, applicants require an IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent) with a minimum of 5.5 to be achieved in each band.
If you are an international applicant that requires a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you will need a UKVI IELTS at an academic level. This is also referred to as SELTs. We will provide you with more details about this when you apply.
For each of the following single and joint honours undergraduate courses, applicants require an Academic IELTS. You will need an IELTS score of 6.0 (or equivalent) with a minimum of 5.5 to be achieved in each band:
- BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance
- BMus (Hons) Songwriting
- BA (Hons) Music & Sound Production
- BA (Hons) Electronic Music Production
- BA (Hons) Music Business
- BA (Hons) Event Management
- BA (Hons) Music Marketing, Media and Communication
- BA (Hons) Popular Music Performance & Music Business
- BA (Hons) Music Production & Music Business
- BA (Hons) Songwriting & Music Business
- BA (Hons) Popular Music Performance & Music Production
- BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance & Songwriting
- BA (Hons) Songwriting & Music Production
For our single honours and joint honours undergraduate courses, we also accept the following equivalent English Language exams:
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) with a score of 170 overall, including at least 165 in each band
- Cambridge Advanced Certificate in English (CAE) with a score of 170 overall, including at least 165 in each band.
- Pearson (PTE Academic) with a score of 50 overall, including at least 42 in all four skills
- TOEFL (iBT) with a score of 80 overall, including at least 19 in Listening, 19 in Reading, 21 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
For our MA courses, applicants require an Academic IELTS. You will need an IELTS score of 6.5 (or equivalent) with a minimum of 6.0 to be achieved in each band.
You’ll also need to meet the academic entry criteria for the course you wish to apply for. These can be found on our course pages. When you make your application, you’ll need to provide us with evidence of your qualifications.
If you’re a national from outside the EU/EEA, you’ll need a Tier 4 Student Visa. BIMM is a Tier 4 Registered Sponsor. This visa is a required document that allows non-European residents to enter the country and stay for more than six months as a student. We can help you gain one, subject to certain criteria being met.
Please allow plenty of time to collect your supporting documentation. You can apply for your Tier 4 visa no earlier than three months before the start of your course.
CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies) is the document that is issued to you by BIMM (the sponsoring institution). We will provide this to you following your offer acceptance and after you have successfully completed a checklist of required documents.
You will require a CAS before you start your visa application. It’s an online form that is used by UK
Visas and Immigration (UKVI) to assess your application. It’s very important that you include the same evidence as that stated on the CAS.
At BIMM Institute UK, we offer a bespoke approach to your Tier 4 application. We offer you full support and guidance with your preparation in applying for your Tier 4 Visa. All successful applicants get a one-to-one consultation with a member of an international team to go through a document checklist and important Tier 4 regulations.
If you need any assistance with your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your relevant Admissions Team:
+ 44 (0) 1273 626 666
+ 353 151 33 666
+49 303 11 99 186
+49 303 11 99 186