BIMM audition advice
A guide to acing your audition with us
Even the most experienced musician gets audition nerves – it’s totally normal. But you don’t have to let audition anxiety stop you from bringing your ‘A’ game.
We’ve auditioned thousands of students, which means we’ve seen it all. So, here are our top tips to smash it out of the park when you meet us. You’ve got this.
- Check you’ve had an email confirming your audition booking, along with our audition guidelines. If you haven’t, get in touch.
- Read the audition guidelines thoroughly. We’ve created them for a reason: to make sure you’re as well-prepared as possible.
- Rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. This is your time to shine, so make sure you’re prepared and can perform without lyrics or lead sheets.
- Make sure your guitar or bass is in tune
- R e l a x. Although you might be feeling the pressure, remember that we’re as keen for you to do well as you are.
- Remember that auditions cover all courses (both degrees and diplomas) within one discipline – which means you might not be recommended for the course you initially applied for.
- Treat your audition like a performance. You might not have an audience, but give it the same energy and passion you would if there was a crowd in front of you.
- Forget to read the audition guidelines!
- Cancel your audition at the last minute, leave your preparation until just before your appointment, or decide you’re going to wing it.
- Sing in a key that doesn’t sit well within your vocal range (if you’re auditioning for a Vocals or Songwriting course). Instead, change the arrangement or use a different backing track.
- Forget to practise your technique exercises (this is all covered in the audition guidelines)
- Assume that a recommendation means you definitely have a place on the course. An official offer will be sent by our Admissions Team if you’ve been successful – this is subject to meeting our academic requirements.
Important update regarding BIMM auditions/interviews
BIMM Institute takes great pride in the value our applicants gain from their auditions or interviews when conducted with a BIMM assessor in one of our colleges. It’s an opportunity for us to get to know you and learn about your aspirations, as well as discussing the course content and possible career routes.
While our colleges are closed due to government directive regarding COVID-19 (Coronavirus), we have developed our remote audition offering and are pleased to be able to host live auditions with a BIMM assessor via Zoom – an online platform which has both video and audio capabilities over a Wi-Fi connection. We have chosen Zoom due to its user-friendly nature and it ensures that BIMM remains compliant with our GDPR responsibilities.
1. We are still conducting auditions and interviews, but instead of coming into one of our colleges, we are using Zoom – an online video platform. It’s similar to Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp Video – it’s also VERY easy to use.
2. Our Admissions Team will book your slot and send you a booking confirmation email. In this email, you will find guidelines on how to prepare for your audition/interview and how Zoom works.
3. If your application requires a recording, demo submission or presentation, you will need to send it to our Admissions Team before your audition/interview. This is to ensure that your assessor receives it and can conduct a smooth audition/interview. Full details of where and how to submit these files will be in your booking confirmation email.
4. Within your audition/interview time, the BIMM assessor will host the Zoom session and email you a link to join. Simply click the link and it will take you to your Zoom audition/interview.
For more information on Zoom, please click here.
Applicants who are unable to facilitate a video call, or do not wish to have a live video audition/interview, can opt to use our BIMM Remote Audition submission.
If you do not wish to have a live video audition/interview, or are unable to, we also offer a remote audition/interview submission.
The remote audition/interview process is very simple. You will be satisfying the same requirements as you would for a live audition/interview, but instead, you just send your work to us within a two-week deadline and a BIMM assessor will mark it, give a recommendation to yourself and our Admissions Team and provide feedback via email.
If you would like to choose this method of audition/interview, please contact the BIMM Admissions Team who can send you detailed guidelines on what you need to prepare and how to submit it.
Our course audition guides will help you prepare for your Zoom Audition. It is important that you read each section to give yourself the best chance of obtaining a recommendation for your chosen course.
Please note that we require you to have already made a booking for an audition or interview before submitting any supporting material as requested within the guidelines below.
BA (Hons) Commerical Modern Music / Foundation Diploma in Professional Musicianship Guidelines
Ready to start your music career?
Whether you’ve already applied or you’re just looking at your options, you can still book your audition. You can even audition before you apply to BIMM. In fact, auditioning early is advised as it’s your chance to find out more about our courses.
Our Admissions Team is always available to answer your questions. Just call +353 1 5133 666 or email [email protected].
Good luck! We know you’ll give it your all, so come and show us what you’ve got.